These Crunchy Tofu Nuggets are Oil Free, GF, Vegan and have No Refined Sugar. They are Air-fried to give them an even crunchier coating, while still being soft in the middle. Dip them in ketchup, Thai sweet chili sauce, or anything you like!
Crunchy Air-Fryer Tofu Nuggets
- Air Fryer (I have a 6 Qt Cosari)
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- ½ cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (You can use regular flour as well if not GF) I use Bob's 1:1 All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Plant Milk I used Oatly Oat Milk
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Organic Maple Syrup or Agave
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1½ cup Panko Gluten Free Crumbs (You can use other GF crumbs but I found these to be the crunchiest)
- Start by placing your tofu in the freezer overnight. The next morning just pull the tofu from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter. (You do not have to freeze the tofu if you are short on time, it just creates a really nice texture. )
- Press the tofu for 15-20 minutes in a tea towel or paper towel and place something heavy on top. This will help release all the extra moisture.
- While the tofu is pressing, add all ingredients for the batter into one bowl.
- Add all the ingredients for the bread coating into another.
- Once tofu is done pressing, rip tofu into irregular chunks. (You can also cut into cubes if you prefer.)
- Gently dip each piece into the batter, covering it on all sides.
- Next dip the battered tofu into the bread coating using a different spoon.
- Place all the pieces on a plate.
- Pre-Heat your Air-Fryer. Place all the pieces in the air-fryer in a single layer. You may need to do more than one batch depending on the size of your air-fryer.
- Air-Fry on 380° for 9 minutes, flip tofu after 5 minutes.
- Serve right away with dip of your choice!